Monday, March 21, 2011

Crazy Sexy Diet

I just finished reading Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet. This book is a fabulous introduction to why the SAD (standard american diet) does not work, and why eating a fresh, plant-based diet is the way to go. Kris' writing style is so entertaining and down to earth, it feels like you're getting advice from a good friend, not like you're being lectured on why your favorite foods are crap.



Much of this book was a refresher course for me, based on some of my learning in the past couple of years. But it's always good to get a pep talk and to learn new tidbits to keep you on track. While there is a lot that is covered in the book, here are a few points that I especially want to focus on:

1) Ditch the "crack" (aka sugar) - This has been a constant battle for me. Even though I think smoking is nasty and drugs are dumb, I can totally sympathize with people who have addictions. If I can't say no to a cupcake, it's gotta be pretty tough to kick a drug habit. Kris lays it out plain and simple—sugar is yucky and addictive. She also gives some great alternatives to say, eating a roll of cookie dough. Not that I've ever done that…

2) Dry brushing -  I started dry brushing about 6 months ago. I've been kinda up and down with this but it does feel invigorating. It really helps me to stop and connect with my body for a minute. You can read more about dry brushing here.

3) Meditation - you can eat right, exercise, and take a butt-load of supplements, but if your mind is whack, you're gonna fall off the wagon. I have experienced the power of meditation, and what a difference my mood can be if take even 1 minute to close my eyes and just breath. But, admittedly, I'm more of a yoga class meditator. This book has inspired me to make mediation a part of my daily routine. Yes, it's one more thing on the to-do list, but I think my mind and body will thank me.

No comments:

Post a Comment