Friday, November 12, 2010

If life were a musical...


It has been a very busy and stressful week at work. My evenings have consisted of eating dinner and plopping myself into bed to cozy up to some Netflix. I've been catching up on Season 1 of Glee. I am in love with this show! Sure, it's a bunch of silly fluff where high school problems are resolved in random breakout of song. But it's great.

Of course there a little things about Glee (and the musical genre in general) that are hard to get past.  Like why does the teacher conduct like once every other episode, when clearly the students can sing their songs with no rehearsal or direction every other time? And why is it that there are people playing instruments in the Glee Club classroom for backup but when songs are performed outside the classroom, there are no musicians in site? If I thought about it much more, the list could continue.

No matter. There's just something about music that can communicate an idea or a feeling like no other medium. And when it's placed in the context of a story, it takes you to a whole new place. An escape, if you will.

Now if only I could bust out in song to express my every emotion at any given moment, without being looked at like a freak show. I could sing all my stresses and cares away... I guess that's what wine is for.

No comments:

Post a Comment