Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Comfort Soup

Yesterday I was struck by a bad case of the sneezes. Not a cold, but something in the fall air got me down. I think I started to annoy my co-workers after, oh the 5,000th sneeze, not to mention the constant nose blowing. So I took off a little early, hit up the grocery store and purchased some ingredients for some home made soup. I pretty much made this one up and I think it turned out pretty darn good!



Spicey Sweet Potato and Eggplant Soup

1 large sweet potato
1 small onion
1 small eggplant
3c chicken broth
1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes
1 14oz can black beans

1/2 tsp Fennel Seed
1/2 tsp ground Cumin
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice

• Saute sweet potato, onion and eggplant for about 5 minutes in 2-3 tbsps olive oil.
•  Add chicken broth, spices and tomatoes (break tomatoes into pieces and include all those yummy juices).
• Simmer for about 40 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
• Add beans and simmer for another 15 minutes.
• Add salt and pepper to taste.

Consume while watching pbs documentarty The Elegant Universe about Eleven dimensions, parallel universes, and a world made out of strings. (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment